Th2 cytokines, including IL-13, drive inflammation in atopic dermatitis affected skin1
In AD skin, overexpression of IL-13 leads to disruption of the skin barrier, increased risk of skin infections, further amplified inflammation, itch—and, in the chronic phase, remodeling and dermal thickening2-9
IL-4 can also mediate itch, but concentrations of IL-4 in AD skin are relatively low vs IL-13.7,12
Keep me informed
Register to receive the latest news, updates and data releases as they happen.
In AD skin, studies have found IL-13 to be expressed at higher levels than IL-4.13,14
- Bieber T. Interleukin-13: targeting an underestimated cytokine in atopic dermatitis. Allergy. 2019. doi:10.1111/all.13954.
- Howell MD, Kim BE, Gao P, et al. Cytokine modulation of atopic dermatitis filaggrin skin expression. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120(1):150-155.
- Kim BE, Leung DY, Boguniewicz M, Howell MD. Loricrin and involucrin expression is down-regulated by Th2 cytokines through STAT-6. Clin Immunol. 2008;126(3):332-337.
- Berdyshev E, Golvea E, Bronova I, et al. Lipid abnormalities in atopic skin are driven by type 2 cytokines. JCI Insight. 2018;3(4):e98006.
- Nomura I, Goleva E, Howell MD, et al. Cytokine milieu of atopic dermatitis, as compared to psoriasis, skin prevents induction of innate immune response genes.
J Immunol. 2003;171(6):3262-3269.
- Purwar R, Werfel T, Wittmann M. IL-13-stimulated human keratinocytes preferentially attract CD4+CCR4+ T cells: possible role in atopic dermatitis. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126(5):1043-1051.
- Oetjen LK, Mack MR, Feng J, et al. Sensory neurons co-opt classical immune signaling pathways to mediate chronic itch. Cell. 2017;171(1):217-228.e13.
- Moriya C, Jinnin M, Yamane K, et al. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-13 is controlled by IL-13 via PI3K/Akt3 and PKC-δ in normal human dermal fibroblasts.
J Invest Dermatol. 2011;131(3):655-661.
- Mack MR, Kim BS. The itch-scratch cycle: a neuroimmune perspective. Trends Immunol. 2018;39(12):980-991.
- Bao K, Reinhardt RL. The differential expression of IL‐4 and IL‐13 and its impact on type‐2 immunity. Cytokine. 2015;75(1):25‐37.
- Salimi M, Barlow JL, Saunders SP, et al. A role for IL‐25 and IL‐33‐driven type‐2 innate lymphoid cells in atopic dermatitis. J Exp Med. 2013;210(13):2939‐2950.
- Tsoi LC, Rodriguez E, Degenhardt F, et al. Atopic dermatitis is an IL-13-dominant disease with greater molecular heterogeneity compared to psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 2019;139(7):1480-1489.
- Tazawa T, Sugiura H, Sugiura Y, Uehara M. Relative importance of IL-4 and IL-13 in lesional skin of atopic dermatitis. Arch Dermatol Res. 2004;295(11):459-464.
- Koppes SA, Brans R, Ljubojevic Hadzavdic S, Frings-Dresen MH, Rustemeyer T, Kezic S. Stratum corneum tape stripping: monitoring of inflammatory mediators in atopic dermatitis patients using topical therapy. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2016;170(3):187-193.